Thursday, August 8, 2019

Boat Projects for this year.

Barge Date:  08-06-2019

Winter Project home on the boat

Every year I have departed the boat I took ideas home that I could work on over the winter.  If I had a workshop in France, it would be better, but I must make do with off season projects. They must be works that will fit in a suitcase. Since we leave a good amount of clothing on the boat we have bags that are mostly empty.

For this year there were a number of woodworking jobs to do, some selection of hardware to use on the boat.  I am trying to make the barge more practical and also look better. Boats should look good but you don't want to obsess.

Here are some pictures of this year's work projects and some comments as needed.


We have nice seats at the helm, but for the height I like my feet not to reach the floor, and the small footrest on the seat is not comfortable.  First contemplated a small wooded bench, but then a brass bar rail popped up as a better idea.  And it is a better idea. Had to cut the pipe at home before my first flight over thinking I would need to get a final measurement and take it back home to cut. As luck would have it, it was perfect first time.



After 2 years we finally had boat cards made so we can give to people we meet.  On the back is information for the phone, emails, blog, and Facebook pages.



Hart Massey wrote 2 books about our barge.  The boat name then was simply Lionel.  So I took the 2 covers, had them enlarged and then framed them.  The book is in a holder to the side of the frame. We still need artwork for the boat.  Have been looking for canal and barge pictures with no luck.


When the cabin was re-done a few years back the brass screws and brass washers were painted over (the wood had been a dark stain). So I took a gamble and replaced the screws and washers with new ones. At first it kind of jumped at you - the look.  But it is growing on me, and I think as the brass gets some age and less luster it will look good.


What good is a window if bugs can come in. Last year I made a template of the window opening and planned how to build a frame for screen and how to attach it to the boat. This is what it looks like. Not totally happy with the fit at all windows; either my frames vary in size (not likely) or the windows do. I am mostly happy but will take back the best fitting frames and re-do the job this winter.  But as is,  these worked great although the fit could be better.  I use rare earth magnets to secure to metal side.

 Last year I put away all these fenders and rely solely on a different, less obvious fender. These blue things hanging from the boat gave off a bad look.  But there are times at mooring when they are needed, and I did not want to go into the forepeake to bring some up.  I did not want to have them just laying around on deck either, so this little wood project organizes 4 fenders in a good way.  I have about 10 more below which I should never need.


These are the brass lamps I purchased at the brocante held at one of the moorings we were at.  Will make a wood bracket this winter and they will hang in the wheelhouse.


We have these windows in the ceiling below and the previous hardware was not brass and did not work well.  So I was able to source the main support from Australia at a great price and good shipping. The other brass part is a simple hook lock. Still work to do on the windows that I have not yet been able to do this summer. The glass needs to be reset as it leaks (poor design), and the wood sanded and varnished.  Hope to still do this.


The single berth needed some place to hang some clothes.  I had previously put in some other brass hooks, but I think these will add more comfort for those that need more than under the bed.



A holder for the hand-held radio.


 A shelf for the shower room.  Made a second one for the forward sink but does not fit well so it goes back for a refit.



The 2 quick access panels for the anti-siphon valves.

No comments:

Post a Comment